Social icons

Call me by your name

Wednesday 28 March 2018


Finally, I watched "Call me by your name". I know, I am late and way behind, but better late than never right? I think what kept me from watching it was all the buzz going around it. I tend to avoid those big production Hollywood is completely mad about. Since few months now I am trying to open myself to movies that are out of the American big production zone, and we are lucky enough to have an amazing independent cinema in Amsterdam, where you can go and see movies that you won't see anywhere else, old or recent, American or Polish, no matter, the organizer of those projections is all about the unusual. And to see those movies kind of closed me from what is trending. But Estée Lalonde, constantly raving about it, convinced me to have a look. And this movie was showed at Sundance, and well, this finished to get me. So I watched it few weeks ago, and well, I have fallen in love with it. The story is so beautiful, the characters so deep and real, it is a real qualitative movie for me. A gay romance with no drama is already something worst having a look at. For once, gay love stories are approached without any health issues, any family drama where parents are homophobic, or one of the character has a wife. I mean, this movie was heart wrenching, and I cried my eyes out, but it was all about love, not about gay drama. 
The aesthetic of the movie was also so significant, the filming location, the colors, the lifestyle, but also the soundtrack participated in the creation of this real but beautiful universe, where people are falling in love for real. Luca Guadagnino created a touching movie where you can't help but fall in love with the romance happening in front of your mesmerized gaze. Now I cannot wait to start reading the book, and for once it does not matter that I saw the movie before, because it was simply a beautiful piece of art. A love story to fall in love with. 

xo

Amy

Post a Comment